As part of our PTA Connected initiative, National PTA has teamed up with TikTok to help parents learn more about how their teens are using this highly popular social video sharing app, educate families about safety on the app and guide parents in having open, ongoing conversations with their teens to ensure they are using social media productively and responsibly.
2020 PTA Connected Family Workshop Grant, Sponsored by TikTok
Congratulations to the 30 local PTAs who received $1,000 in funding to host PTA Connected events supported by TikTok in their communities during the 2019-2020 school year. Check out the 2020 PTA Connected TikTok Grantees!
TikTok is one of the fastest growing apps today, allowing users to post, share and discover short 15 – 60 second videos. Think karaoke for the digital age, with plenty of humor thrown in. People like TikTok because the platform has built a community that encourages users to express themselves creatively and authentically. Whether it’s dance, free-style or performance, creators are encouraged to let their imagination run wild.
Before you create an account, we encourage you to check out the tips on using TikTok’s safety features and other preferences in the TikTok Tips for Parents guide that PTA collaborated on with TikTok to create for our PTA Connected program. Following the tips in this guide is a great way to ensure your account has the features you want for your profile.
For example, the “For You” feed is a great way to explore new videos, but with the wide diversity of content on the app, sometimes you might feel bogged down with videos that aren’t quite to your taste. You can configure features and preferences that let you keep videos you don’t enjoy off of your For You feed. This will help you shape what your content consumption experience looks like on TikTok.
As with any social media application, you can take charge of curating your experience, and your teen’s experience. When you create an account, TikTok will “age gate” you into content that matches how old you are. This is why it is critically important for parents to talk with their kids before allowing them to create an account, and to sit with them to make sure they use the appropriate information when they first log in.
GO HERE FOR Tips for Parents
Online Scenario Family Video Challenge
Being good digital citizens starts with us! We suggest that you do some roleplaying with your teen to help them navigate their social media experience. Parents and teens can work collaboratively to design a skit on the best way to react if the scenarios listed below were to happen to them.
Families can use these flashcards to work collaboratively to design a skit of the best way to react if the scenarios listed below were to happen to them. This activity gives parents and teens a chance to practice their online safety and digital wellbeing skills by working out the best way to respond IRL (in real life). Read through the scenarios together and discuss what would be the way you would want to respond or react.
Use the resources below to plan and host a TikTok Event with parents and students at your local school.
- Event Planning Guide (en español)
- Planning Checklist (en español)
- Talking Points for PTA Leader (en español)
- Invitation to Volunteer (en español)
- Volunteer Sign-up Sheet (en español)
- Tips for Recruiting Non-PTA Volunteers (en español)
- Backpack Flyer (en español)
- Event Invitation Email (en español)
- Promotional Flyer Template (en español)
- Letter to Elected Officials (en español)
- Media Advisory Template (en español)
- Press Release Template (en español)
- Sample Social Media Posts (en español)
- Suggested Budget (en español)
- Presentation (en español)
- Presentation Script
- Breakout activity cards
- Smart Talk Info Handout (en español)
- TikTok Tips for Parents
- Student Panel Prompt
- Media Release Waiver (The document is double-sided, English and Spanish)
- Sample Thank You Letters for Volunteers (en español)
- Program Leader Feedback Form
- Complete this form in the online grants portal. Click “Needs Attention” or “In Progress” in the left-hand menu to access the form.
- Attendee Post-Event Survey
- Make sure to tell attendees to simply go to PTA.org/Survey and click on the “SmartTalk” option.